domingo, 11 de febrero de 2018

There is more than one way to read a book with your students





I have so many favorite books in my classroom but not enough time to read them all.
View in browser
[
Hello to you! I sincerely hope this email finds you doing well.

I was going through my photos last night and came across one photo after another of my students reading books. It was rewarding to see books being enjoyed all throughout the classroom.

I used to try to read every book that I love during circletime before setting them on our classroom shelves. But now, after years of teaching, I have collected too many favorite books to read them all aloud during circletime.
Still, I do want to get the books into the hands of the children in a meaningful way and the best way is to make sure we are reading each book aloud..
Alternative ways to keep your students engaged in the reading process…

Before I set any book on the shelf for my students to "read" on their own, I want to try to find a way to read it with them first, so I have had to get creative. Here are a few alternative ways I read the book to my students.
  1. I record my own voice reading the book or find a prerecorded copy of it on CD and let the children listen to it at the listening center.
  2. I recently found a set of Eric Carle books with a really cool reader at Walmart (shown above). As the children push a button, the device reads the words on that page.
  3. My teachers and I take time to read spontaneously with one child or a small group of children.
  4. My older students who have already read the book with me share the story with the younger students.
  5. We read some of our stories as part of a game, art process, or building activity.
  6. And we gather together to read the stories as a large group – that will always be my preferred approach.

I get so excited when my student's get excited about a book we have read in class. Of course, I love it when I get to read the book to the children but even if they read it through another means and love it – I am thrilled.

Happy reading in your classroom!

Deborah
Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario